Friday, May 17, 2019

Assignment 2-A The Bug List:

Assignment 2A-The Bug List:

1. Shower heads that do not put out enough water velocity to get the shampoo out of my hair.
Why it exists? Environmental agencies regulated to slow down the amount of water per minute that is allowed to exit the shower head.

2. Small throat on my sewing machine preventing me from quilting a large quilt with ease.
Why it exists? At the time of the making of my machine there was no idea that a larger throat was needed for the quilting world.

3. Lack of gun control laws on semi automatic weapons
Why it exists? people are afraid of losing some archaic, out of control privilege lobby and spend copious amounts of money to ensure that congress or those in charge will never pass anything to outlaw the use of these machines.

4. Glasses for reading.
Why it exists? We get old and our eyes degrade and are unable to do their jobs anymore.

5. Being overworked
Why it exists? Companies are trying to make more of a profit so they are reducing staffing as much as possible but not reducing workload.

6. Walmart home office making changes that do not work
Why it exists? They do not work in the stores so do not understand how something really works.  They are also, again, trying to save money and do not care about if it works or not.

7. Poor workmanship on new couch that tore on the first week of ownership.
Why it exists? cheap labor begets cheaply made products.

8. Rising gas prices
Why it exists? Oil is drying up so they can now charge outrageous prices for it.

9. Donald Trump as our president
Why it exists? A bunch of angry people, who have been wronged by corporate America's greed, voted for someone they thought would stick it to the company's.

10. Dog and Cat hair all over the couch, carpet, clothes and well, everywhere.
Why it exists? I live in Texas.  It is hot.  The very long haired animals are hot too.  So they shed their beautiful fur all over everything.

11. The small size of my freezer. I have a lot of frozen goods and my freezer is always too full.
Why it exists? Someone set the standard that the freezer would just be smaller than the refrigerator and no one has changed it, even though we eat more frozen goods now days.

12.  Not being able to listen to my music while at work on the retail floor.
Why it exists? I would not be able to hear and take care of customers if I had my music blaring in my ears.

13.  Residual water on top of the dishes in the dish washer, even after a drying cycle
Why it exists? There are divots in certain dishes and water collects in them and the drying cycle is not powerful enough to get rid of the water.

14.  The dust that flies up and out of the trash can when I empty the bagless vacuum cleaner container
Why it exists? Bagless has to be emptied somehow and unless you wrap the trash bag around the container there is no where else for the massive about of dust to go.

15.  Standardized tests used in schools for the states and the other ones that are required to enter colleges today.
Why it exists? We are a society that needs to make sure all are even, or close to even so we have these tests to show normality.

16.  The cutting line divet on my rotary mat for quilting that does not heal on the "self-healing" mat.
Why it exists? A sharp razor blade is cutting through 1-6 layers of fabric and is being pushed on quite heavily onto the mat, through the layers of fabric.

17.  People at work using my fabric only scissors to cut cardboard, paper, tape and other crazy things
Why it exists? The people cannot find the proper scissors for their cutting needs, or they simply have no idea that using the fabric scissors to cut their stuff completely dulls or nicks the scissor blades.

18.  When the two liter bottle of coke goes flat
Why it exists?  We did not drink the coke fast enough

19.  Bills having to be paid every single month without exception
Why it exists?  Because the bill collectors need a pay check too so they can pay their bills

20.  Traffic lights that change to yellow even though there is NO ONE on the opposing street waiting or coming towards the light.
Why it exists? The lights are on a timer.

My Reflection: 
I do not know if I am just very aware of my surroundings, or if I am just a grumpy, whiny, griping kind of person.  It did not take too long for me to come up with 18 "bugs".  I can always find the problem in things, or situations.  However figuring out the "Why it exists" was truly the difficult part of this assignment for me.   It was especially hard for me on #11.  I completely just guessed on why the freezer is always smaller than the refrigerator side.  I sat for many of these "bugs" trying to figure out why and it was truly frustrating that I had no idea on a few of them.  Even more frustrating was, the "bugs" that truly bugged me, were the ones I struggled the most with figuring out the "why it exists" aspect.  I think what I learned from this exercise is I get grouchy about "bugs" but I never really stopped and tried to find out the root cause, or even cared to try to figure out how to fix some of them.

1 comment:

  1. I thought some of the bugs were creative and things I never even considered as a bug (for example, using the wrong type of scissors to cut cardboard or other materials). I agree with your reflection, it's often easier to identify the bug but harder to ask why something exists, especially the things we can't seem to explain. It's easier to explain why it exists when it's pertaining to a product (the soda going flat) versus a service such as why bills need to be paid on time. For some of my bugs, I also ever really stopped to consider why it exists or how to fix it which, I thought your explanations were creative and humorous.

    ReplyDelete