Friday, July 26, 2019

26-A Celebrating Failure

26-A Celebrating Failure

Where I have failed a lot in the last two semesters is reading.  I love to read, but it turns out I do not appreciate reading non-fiction, informational overload books.  In the spring I had three classes that all required reading a textbook.  I would sit down daily and try to read, but would fall asleep every time.  I do work 40-45 hours per week in retail in a position that requires a lot of labor.  But I can read books I am interested in with no problem of ever thinking of tiredness or sleepiness.  I enjoyed the first book this semester of Steve Jobs. I had always wanted to read about him, so I got through that book easily.  But the other two books for this class, I read the first chapter and it took so many tries to get through because I was falling asleep I simply gave up.  I am so grateful there was no textbook to read for this class because I know I would have failed at that too.  

I have not really learned anything from it, other than realizing that I have an issue.  I mean, I have learned it is costly for my grades when I do not score well on tests because of not reading the textbooks.  

In my reflection of this failure, it makes me feel like I am inadequate.  I handle failure very poorly.  I blame myself and call myself stupid, or ignorant.  I take it hard; I take it personally.  I make all kinds of vows to fix it.  But if no one holds me accountable, I will continue to make the same mistake over and over again.  

This class has taught me that taking a risk may cause unhappiness.  I thought my business idea was a grand one.  Who likes small parking spaces—no one—I thought it would be easy to fix the problem.  But it was not easy.  Because the people who could fix the issue, were not the ones having the problem, thus they had no need to fix the problem and selling the idea to these people was like selling hot chocolate to people in the desert.  I would definitely NOT be one to take risks because of what I learned in this class.  I may have to work for a boss who has 100% say over what I can and cannot do, but I will not have to worry about where my next paycheck is coming from.

3 comments:

  1. Shae, great job on this assignment. I too do not enjoy reading and I wish I did! There are lots of book I want to read but just simply sit myself down to take the time to read them and it upsets me. And don't call yourself stupid, or ignorant. As college students it is very hard to manage school time and personal time and this may be contributing as to why you think you have an "issue" (you do not). Most college students have time management problems and this may be why you think you have failed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really relate to this, I cannot remember a time I read a book that was not for a class, but rather for pure enjoyment. It's very easy to get caught up in our day to day activities and forget to carve out the time for ourselves. I hope you find a book you are interested in and get to sit down to enjoy it. I also relate to how you handle failure, people often beat themselves up when we fail and holding yourself accountable if difficult because it does not have the same repercussions compared to when someone in a higher position than you holds you accountable. Your post is very relatable and honest, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shae, I really enjoyed reading your post! I also struggled with the reading assignments because I cannot get into a book unless I am very interested in it. I think you idea is great and I agree with you about small parking spaces. However, you should not be so hard on yourself because well experience failure and it's what makes us human. I appreciate your full disclosure and honesty!

    ReplyDelete